Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
- OAL's WEBSITE HAS BEEN REDESIGNED! OAL's website has recently been redesigned. Please double-check whether any links or bookmarks you may have previously saved need to be updated. Some functions of OAL's redesigned website may not work at this time, including the "Search" function. OAL is working diligently to resolve this technical issue and hopes to have it resolved by December 15, 2016. Thank you for your patience.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING THE 2017 RULEMAKING CALENDAR are now available. The Rulemaking Calendar is a projection of rulemaking activity by state agencies for the upcoming year. Click here for more information.
- ONLINE TRAINING REGISTRATION: Registration for OAL's 3-day APA rulemaking training course and half-day underground regulation training is now available online. Register here.
- ON DECEMBER 28, 2016, OAL issued a Disapproval Decision regarding the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation's proposed regulations to implement the lethal injection process.
- THE 2017 CALIFORNIA REGULATORY NOTICE REGISTER PUBLICATION SCHEDULE is now available. Please visit our Notice Register page.